JL5

Day Trader (with over max write off loss) + Day Job. Benefit to filing as Day Trader?

I have a day job, but am transitioning into Day Trading Stocks, hopefully. I make enough trades per day to qualify. You can only write off a maximum of $3k or so in day trading losses, which I went well over (the remainder can be carried through to following years). I also insured many other expenses form day trading such as internet, educational services, and informational services. Since I went over the max $3k/year write off, I was wondering if there is a point in trying to file as a day trader.  E.g., will the extra write offs be able to be carried over into following years as well since I hit the max?

Just doing Day Trading is not enough to qualify for Professional Trader status.

Unless you are trading just about every business day in a separate account dedicated to your business,  IRS will probably disapprove your return.

a Professional Trader makes money, does not lose money. You may wish to consider some other line of work.
JL5

I trade everyday, and qualify as trader as per rules, which I stated above. I make money now, but did not last year, yet, irrelevant to question. Still hoping you have an actual answer.

"Special rules apply if you're a trader in securities, in the business of buying and selling securities for your own account. The law considers this to be a business, even though a trader doesn't maintain an inventory and doesn't have customers"

There is no $3,000 loss limitation - you won't be reporting on Schedule D.
JL5

you can only write off $3,000 (or something close) of losses per year. Anyway... nvm
jig

Hello @JL5   I am in the exact situation and I was wondering did you get everything figured out.  If so, can you share how you filed your taxes to get the best result.

Thanks