Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crypto Taxes

Hello,

My question is if I sell some crypto and put the proceeds into an IRA account, is that still considered a taxable event? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Crypto Taxes

@Shank20 thank you for the question. I love the fact that you are thinking about making a retirement contribution.  So, the key here is you are selling Cryptocurrency and then putting the proceeds in an IRA, so this would be a taxable event. 

If you are contributing to a Traditional IRA, which is tax-deferred, meaning that you don’t have to pay tax on any interest or other gains the account earns until you withdrawal the money, it may be eligible for a tax deduction though.  See this for more details:  Deductions Allowed for Contributions to a Traditional IRA

In general, if the Crypto is in a Traditional IRA, you will pay no tax until you distribute the funds.  If it is in a Roth IRA, you would not pay taxes when you distribute the funds.   This would need to be at retirement age though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

View solution in original post

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Crypto Taxes

@Shank20 thank you for the question. I love the fact that you are thinking about making a retirement contribution.  So, the key here is you are selling Cryptocurrency and then putting the proceeds in an IRA, so this would be a taxable event. 

If you are contributing to a Traditional IRA, which is tax-deferred, meaning that you don’t have to pay tax on any interest or other gains the account earns until you withdrawal the money, it may be eligible for a tax deduction though.  See this for more details:  Deductions Allowed for Contributions to a Traditional IRA

In general, if the Crypto is in a Traditional IRA, you will pay no tax until you distribute the funds.  If it is in a Roth IRA, you would not pay taxes when you distribute the funds.   This would need to be at retirement age though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies