Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming a credit for income previously taxed

Hello,

I already filed my 2022 return in March 2023.  It now appears that due to an administrative error, my W2 for tax year 2022 included some income that had previously been included in my income in a prior tax year. Getting a corrected W2 for 2022 is not possible. I assume I should just file an amended tax return for 2022, claiming a tax credit on Schedule 3, line 13d for the extra tax I paid in 2022? Is there a better way to do that than by directly updating that form and line in TuboTax desktop? Also, Turbotax desktop wants to include several other forms from my original return (such as Schedule D, form 8606, etc.) in the amended return. Are they really necessary (they have no changes), or can I delete them?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Claiming a credit for income previously taxed

It now appears that due to an administrative error, my W2 for tax year 2022 included some income that had previously been included in my income in a prior tax year. Getting a corrected W2 for 2022 is not possible. If you haven't received a corrected W2 and getting a corrected W2 is not possible, why do you believe income from 2021 was included on your 2022 return?

I assume I should just file an amended tax return for 2022, claiming a tax credit on Schedule 3, line 13d for the extra tax I paid in 2022?  If you are 100% sure without a doubt that there was an error, then AFTER you go in and choose to amend you would need to select the option to change your income and then change your W-2.  You should also attach the why and how you determined your original W-2 was incorrect and describe why you are not getting a new W-2.  Be as detailed as possible.  You should NOT just take a credit for the extra taxes paid.  You will need to "show your work" to the IRS and that is done by filing a 1040-X, correcting your income, then entering the correct amount of taxes that you should have paid. 

Is there a better way to do that than by directly updating that form and line in TuboTax desktop? Selecting Amend My Return when you first get into the program is the best way to do this.  Then as I mentioned above, select income, then change your W-2 info.  The rest of the numbers will autocorrect. 

Also, Turbotax desktop wants to include several other forms from my original return (such as Schedule D, form 8606, etc.) in the amended return. Are they really necessary (they have no changes), or can I delete them? I am not sure if something else is being changed but if you have capital gains income, a change in income may affect your Capital Gains rate.   So, if TurboTax is including the additional forms with your 1040-X, then you should include them in your return. Sending more than you need to will not cause a problem.  Sending less than you need to may delay your amended return processing while the IRS contacts you for more information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies