turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains and capital loss treatment

I sold stocks in 2017, made a capital gains and capital losses however all the funds were immediately used to purchase other stocks.  I thought I read that if the funds are NOT withdrawn but reinvested within 60 days then you are not subject to the capital gain or capital loss tax assessment for that year (2017)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

There is no "rollover" provision for stock sales in general. You may be thinking of IRA or 401k rollovers.

Thanks & yes based on my new research I think you are right - this provision applies when done in an IRA, 401/403 etc.  Do you know how "basis" is determined, the stocks sold were originally obtained from an Employer share option distribution?

Were these originally shares or options? It depends on how the plan was structured. Did you recognize any income when the shares were given to you by your employer? (Would have been reported on your W-2.) If they were options originally, you should have recognized some income when the options were exercised. Any income you've already recognized (been taxed on) becomes part of the basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies