Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunn2415
Returning Member

Can I remove my son as a dependent age 26. My efile accepted. My son's was rejected (he filed as not being claimed on another return. $4200. Am I required to claim him?

He made $3700. Will he be eligible for the stimulus?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Can I remove my son as a dependent age 26. My efile accepted. My son's was rejected (he filed as not being claimed on another return. $4200. Am I required to claim him?

Take this short quiz, Whom May I Claim as a Dependent? 

You received the $4,200 based on 2019 return. This does not require you to claim him.

If he claims himself, he would be eligible for the missed stimulus.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sunn2415
Returning Member

Hi Amy,

To be clear he made less than $4200 dollars, ($3680).  At age 26 with his salary, do I have to claim him by IRS rules.It would benefit to claim himself if allowed.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You do not have to claim him.   But if you (or someone else) qualifies to claim him, he has to indicate that on his return.   You can amend your return (after it is processed) and remove him.  But he will still need to file by mail if he claims himself since you have already filed with his SSN on your return.   

To figure out if someone can claim him, see below - if anyone can answer YES to all the qualifiers below, he would indicate he can be claimed.   If not, he can indicate that he can't be claimed.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,300 in 2020.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.   ***If you didn't provide over half of his support, you can't claim him.   

sunn2415
Returning Member

Hi,

I read your response if someone can claim him as a dependent. I just realized that he had $987 in interest income (untaxed), in addition to his W2 wages of $3675. Total income of $4662. Would that interest income be used to push him over the $4300 limit, so him can claim himself?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, he can file and clam himself for the stimulus.

I forgot to give you this, IRS Worksheet for Determining Support

Hal_Al
Level 15

No. Tax exempt interest does not count for the gross taxable income test.

as a practical matter, if you are not listed on another taxpayer's return as a dependent, you are not a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies