turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjausoro

Can I really qualify for the stimulus payment when I did not file as an independent in 2019?

I am 19 and am filing as an independent for the first time in the 2020 tax filing year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Can I really qualify for the stimulus payment when I did not file as an independent in 2019?

Yes.  If you qualify in 2020, you can receive the recovery rebate.   The IRS used information from 2019 returns to issue the advance payments, but the credit is based on your 2020 situation.  If someone CAN claim you, you would be disqualified even if that person does not claim you, however.   So, if your parents are eligible to claim you, you can't claim it.  If they can't claim you, you can claim it.   Check this link to verify that you are not a qualifying dependent of your parents or someone else - Who can I claim as my dependent?

Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you can not be claimed as a dependent on your 2020 return you are eligible for the stimulus. Note that the important word is CAN. If you can be but were  not claimed you are not eligible for the stimulus. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies