Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the millage I travel everyday to be with my wife who is in assistant living who had a bad operation on her head and need help each day and companionship

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct the millage I travel everyday to be with my wife who is in assistant living who had a bad operation on her head and need help each day and companionship

I talked to a person who was doing tax service for the elderly, and he said it was deductible?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No, that mileage would not be deductible. 

I talked to a person who was doing tax service for the elderly, and he said it was deductible?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I would say it depends. According to IRS PUB 502:

You can include in medical expenses amounts paid for transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care.

You can include:

Transportation expenses for regular visits to see a mentally ill dependent, if these visits are recommended as a part of treatment.

Transportation expenses you can't include.

Travel that is merely for the general improvement of one's health.

I would say you could take the position that the mileage is deductible if your visits are part of a treatment plan prescribed by her doctor. It would have to be written into her treatment plan, and you would want a copy of that for your documentation. The other obstacles here are she is not your dependent and is not mentally ill.

Medical mileage is an itemizable expense subject to 7.5% of your AGI. This means the medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. 

Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You for your reply I will try to get that report and read it over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies