Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I Claim my son as a dependent if he is over 18 and made about $15,000, but I supported him?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
carmen_t
Employee Tax Expert

Can I Claim my son as a dependent if he is over 18 and made about $15,000, but I supported him?

Hello and thank you for your question.  If your dependent child meets the qualifications, you may be able to claim them on your return.  Due to the amount of $15,000 income he will be required to file a tax return.  If you claim him and he is required to file a tax return then he will need to ensure he marks that he can be claimed as a dependent.  I briefly discussed qualifications of a dependent  above, but the link below will have more detail and explanation (filing requirements, earned income, invetment income, etc.).  Have a good day!

From TurboTax "Tax Filing Requirements for Children" 

Thank you for your response. I filed his taxes and checked he could be claimed as a dependent; however, when filling out my tax forms, it wouldn't let me claim him anywhere. It kept telling me I couldn't claim him. 

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Let me give you a bit more specific, detailed information on the dependent rules that apply to your son. This might help explain what you are seeing in the software.

A child with $15,000 income could still be your dependent if they are considered a Qualifying Child. 

For a child between ages 19-23, they are only a "Qualifying Child" if they are a full-time student. So if your son attended college full-time for at least 5 months of the year in 2022, he would still be a Qualifying Child. 

A child that is 19-23 is not a Qualifying Child if they are not a full-time student. This is due to the age limits for a Qualifying Child.

A child that is 24 or older cannot be a Qualifying Child unless they are permanently and totally disabled. Student status no longer impacts qualifying for a person that is 24+.

A child that does not meet the Qualifying Child rules due to age, would potentially be a dependent under the rules for Qualifying Relative. However, to be a Qualifying Relative dependent, someone must have earned less than $4400 of taxable income during 2022. Since your son earned more than this amount he doesn't meet the definition of a Qualifying Relative. 

So, to sum this all up - if your son doesn't meet the age requirement to be a Qualifying Child, he earned too much money to be your dependent. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies