Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can an irrevocable trust make gifts to a 3rd party ?

I am the trustee of irrevocable trust for my nephew. He is the sole beneficiary of the trust.  In 2019, he directed me to make a gift of $30,000 from his trust to his mother.   This gift is from corpus (principal) and not income.   Does the trust have to file a Form 709 gift tax return for this gift ?   I don't think a Form K-1 has to be filed, because no income was transferred.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Only individuals are required to file gift tax returns. If a trust, estate, partnership, or corporation makes a gift, the individual beneficiaries, partners, or stockholders are considered donors and may be liable for the gift and GST taxes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

is this really an irrevocable trust for tax purposes.

Under IRC Section 674(a), the grantor is the owner of any portion of a trust in respect of which the beneficial enjoyment of the corpus or income is subject to a power of disposition, exercisable by the grantor or a nonadverse party, or both, without the approval or consent of any adverse party. “Adverse party” refers to any person with a substantial beneficial interest in a trust that would be adversely affected by the exercise or nonexercise of a power (IRC Section 672(a)).  

thus if he has full power of disposition of corpus or certain other powers, for tax purposes the trust is treated as a grantor trust.  this is crucial because it determines what form of 1041 to file and how and to whom the income is taxed.   just because a trust is titled irrevocable and you are the trustee doesn't mean it treated as a non-grantor trust for tax purposes.       

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies