Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drvrdude

As a contractor with SOFA/TESA status, where is that reflected or where do I make sure that info is added in? Is that something we do or something the employer does?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

As a contractor with SOFA/TESA status, where is that reflected or where do I make sure that info is added in? Is that something we do or something the employer does?

You do not need to enter your SOFA/TESA status in your tax return--it has no effect on your 1040..

SOFA benefits include the exemption from having to register your presence with foreign authorities and paying income tax for the foreign country.

redtrek12

Can you go into a little detail, please?  I am also a contractor with SOFA status.  Why would this not affect your 1040 as a benefit of SOFA is partial tax exemption?  Where would I add this in TurboTax?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

SOFA status exempts you from being taxed by the host country.  If that didn't exist you would be taxed by the host country and then file for an exclusion of the income on your US return.  SOFA status eliminates that double taxation so you would file as a normal US taxpayer.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jaelitouz

I know this is a year late. I hope it still works to reply. If I have the Physical Presence of 330 & SOFA, am I exempt from both tax liabilities?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies