Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), food stamps, claim individual receiving these as a dependent on my federal return.

If my children are on ahcccs with me, can their father claim one of them as a child dependent on his tax return?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), food stamps, claim individual receiving these as a dependent on my federal return.

Yes. As long as all other qualifying criteria are met. The rules for a qualifying child include a relationship, age, residency, and joint return test.

For the age test, the child must be under the age 19 at the end of the year OR under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, OR any age if permanently and totally disabled.

For the residency test, the person must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of the year. In the case of children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart, the child must have been in the custody of one or both parents for more than half of the year.

Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption to Chile by Custodial Parent or similar document may apply if you are the custodial parent (parent with whom the child lived for the greater number of nights during the year). This form grants release to your claim to the child as a dependent.

Qualifying Child Rules

Form 8332

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kayla_alysse
Returning Member

I want to know the answer to this, as well.

It’s my first year filing with my son. I am not married to his father, but he does support us (I did not work for most of the year 2019). I’m applying for AHCCCS for my son and I, and including my SO’s income, but need to know who should claim him? I know I won’t get much, if anything, back for him, but his father will since he makes the money.

But, I don’t want to risk my son not getting AHCCCS coverage because his father claimed him and I’m the one applying.

TIA!

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may want to get guidance from AHCCCS to make sure that your specific situation does not jeopardize your son’s coverage.

While you are waiting for guidance from AHCCCS, you can use TurboTax to try different scenarios for claiming the child between you and the father.  I have seen situations where there is not as much difference as you might think. 

So much of it depends upon the income levels that you earned during the year and how you structure the dependent and nondependent claims.

See this IRS publication concerning which parent is entitled to claim an earned income credit with a qualifying child.  See question four.

Make sure that the 8332 is prepared.

Rubi

My daughter is 19 and a full time student who went away to college. She doesn't live at home. She files her own tax returns due to scholarships and a part time job.
If I claim her as a dependent (again, she doesn't live at home), will she be able to apply for AHCCCS based on her income alone?     
Thanks,
Rubi

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Normally eligibility requirements for state agencies is out of scope this service but, please, select this AHCCCS link to find out more information. It has a wealth of information that will answer your question.

@Rubi  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies