turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2022 without changes, only a note to IRS

In the past both my spouse and I have contributed to SEP-IRAs, but this year only I did. However when the SEP-IRA deposit was made early in April it was mistakenly deposited to my spouses SEP-IRA account. Even though we tried to back out the mistake immediately, our brokerage firm could not push the funds back into a regular non IRA account for two weeks. We earned no income in that period. A deposit to the correct SEP-IRA account was then made.

I spoke to three IRA agents re how to try to avoid a penalty for the apparent early withdrawal on my spouses SEP-IRA account. Two of them seemed to really get the picture and expressed that this kind of thing happens regularly and probably should not result in a penalty from the IRS. One of them said the best way to handle the situation would be to file an amended Federal Tax Return, and include a note explaining the deposit. The tax year for the bogus deposit will look like 2023 to the IRS; but the spouse will not have a SEP-IRA for 2023 either.

I'm unsure how to do this in turbotax: file an amended return that contains no numeric changes to the filing, only an explanatory note re the mistaken deposit. I've started the amend a tax return process in turbotax; one of the first screens is choosing which category of the return needs to be amended. None of them, really.

How do I get turbotax to print out an amended tax return, without changes? And do I simply attach a note to the printed forms? I don't see an "add a note" area in the amend process, but maybe it's offered later on?

I pressed on with the amend tax return wizard and found that it does allow you to enter notes which is great.

However the return is mostly blank. I had expected it to clone the filed 2022 tax return and allow adjustments to it. Instead it starts from a blank tax return? Can someone guide me re how to simply adopt the filed 2022 return and tack on the notes?

This page does not make it clear how to amend a filed return in this situation:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I restarted the amend a return process and found that I had not seen the option to amend a filed return. Now I'm set.

I don't understand why ttax makes me file via paper since IRS allows? No reason is offered. IRS states that 1040 etc can be refiled electronically since 2020. ttax is offering to efile the state amendment.

If you removed her  contribution via the excess contribution form with associated earnings, before the due date of your tax return, including extension, and there were no earnings.

AND instead the same money went into your SEP .

there is nothing you have to do .

you don't have to file an amendment.

@untuit 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies