Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Affordable Care Act Form 1095-A

Hello,

Our adult son was on our ACA insurance for 8 months last year.  He was not in school or working at the time.  Once he got work we took him off and he got employer sponsored healthcare.

I understand that both my husband and I and our son need to import the 1095-A form with our taxes.  My dilemma is how to divvy up the percentages?

Without him on our ACA insurance, we will be required to pay back the entire subsidy unless I can apportion the percentages so it makes sense.

Any assistance?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you are both listed on the 1095-A then you both will have to include the information on your returns. 

Go to the ACA section of Turbotax:

1. While signed in and working in TurboTax Online 2019, click on Federal in the black menu on left.
  2. Click on Deduction and Credits in the upper portion of the page.
  3. Scroll down and click on Medical, Show More.
  4. Choose Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) click on Revisit or Start.

Enter the 1095A data. After entering the data you will come to a page that says Let Us Know If These Situations Apply To You. If your son is not a dependent, click on the box next to I Shared a Policy With A Taxpayer Who Is Not On My Taxes. You will then have to enter his SS number, how many months split and the actual split. You can divide the policy anyway as long as it adds up to 100 percent on both returns. You can allocate 0/100, 50/50 or any other computation. 

This question was previously answered by DeanM15

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.

Does anything change because our son was only on our policy for 8 months? Someone had mentioned that the four months needed to be allocated to my husband and I, but there is no breakdown on the form for that.

Thank you again.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You determine the allocation you want between the two returns, but it needs to add up to 100 percent on both returns.  So if you allocate 80% to yourself and 20% to your son - that adds up to 100%.  This is just an example.  You can do any combination of allocations you want.

Hi there,

If I do 0/100 (allocating 100% to my son) will that impact the 4 months he wasn't on the plan?

Not sure if that is doable.

Thank you,

Laura

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. But it is difficult to say how this will affect the calculations. You can change the percentages on the affected returns to determine the most favorable outcome. See more information in the link below.

Shared Policy

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies