turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accrual VS. Cash Method of Accounting for Digital (non-physical) Product sales through an Online Marketplace.

Hello,

I sell Digital Products through a couple Online Marketplaces, I am curious if it is necessary that I file using the "Accrual" Method under this circumstance or if I can file it as "Cash", only accounted for when I am actually paid? I will most likely be receiving a 1099-Misc for one of these Marketplaces, if that changes anything.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Accrual VS. Cash Method of Accounting for Digital (non-physical) Product sales through an Online Marketplace.

The choice of the accounting method you use is up to you. Most small businesses use the cash method. 

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you are maintaining any significant inventory, you may wish the "hybrid" method instead (Appears as "Other" in the Accounting Methods, and then you type in Hybrid).  Accrual method is generally required for inventory, so this method allows you to use Cash method for Sales (when you actually receive the money), but accrual for your inventory (cost expensed when you order and move the product)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Depends on the nature of your inventory ... if you don't hold a physical inventory  or you qualify to expense the inventory costs  then cash would be correct.  Otherwise hybrid is correct.     https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p538.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies