turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saaddada

601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

That error is usually for folks in a foreign country.

If you have a phone number listed in your Intuit Account settings, then you must make sure you use a valid 10-digit USA phone number in both your Intuit Account settings and in your return.

See if this FAQ helps:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

See this answer by TurboTax DawnC in the thread linked below, who says not to use a number like Google Voice, Skype, etc.  in the Intuit Account settings, at least not until after you successfully efile.   She also says it may be possible to leave the phone number blank in the Intuit Account settings.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Also see this other thread with other out-of-country users with the same problem who were able to correct the error.  If you have trouble, post there and they can probably help you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-given-...

The issue for me seemed to be an the international cell I input in Accounts profile. Why would these morons at Intuit even give you this option if it's going to cause issues?

And really, after thinking about it, why don't the guys just make international phones a working option period...a whole bunch of expats all over the place without US phone numbers (Skype's an option but saw posts with that being an issue too)?

Hi All,

This is how I fixed it:

1. Go to your Intuit Account info at the bottom-left of your TurboTax window and change your phone number to a US 10-digit number. 

2. SIGN OUT of Turbo Tax and then sign back in.

3. Go back to the review/file step, where at the end you should be able to know check both email AND SMS (text) notifications

4. Click through until you get to the end and "transmit" your return.

This only worked for me after signing out and signing back in to get my number updated throughout the system.

Basically what I did too, but then the remaining question is what if one doesn't have a US number...something like Skype's an option, but saw some having issues that being accepted...hope TT fixed that.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.  No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when your are done. Then go back to you return an continue filing. 

Solution: Intuit Account -> Sign In & Security -> Phone (change & save no need to verify) -> back to e-file and retry.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies