Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file Gift Tax Return (Form 709)?

In 2023, I worte a check for 34k from a joint checking account to our son to help with downpayment. Since my wife and I each has a 17k gift tax exclusion, there won't be any actual tax consequence. My question is do I need to file a Form 709 gift tax return, and have my wife claim half the gift, or do we each need to file a gift tax return?  

I've read Form 709's instructions and am still not clear if I need to file any form.  In the future I may consider writing checks from separate accounts to avoid this headache.  

If i need to file, does TurboTax support Form 709?  If not, can I submit Form 709 separately?  I usually eFile my income tax with TurboTax. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  34K check from joint account, need to file Form 709?

A. No. That is each of you making a $17K gift, which is the limit.

Q. If i need to file, does TurboTax support Form 709? 

A. No.

Q. If not, can I submit Form 709 separately? 

A. You must file form 709 separately.  It is not part of your income tax filing. 

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return may be required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  34K check from joint account, need to file Form 709?

A. No. That is each of you making a $17K gift, which is the limit.

Q. If i need to file, does TurboTax support Form 709? 

A. No.

Q. If not, can I submit Form 709 separately? 

A. You must file form 709 separately.  It is not part of your income tax filing. 

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return may be required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...  

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The annual gift exclusion is $17,000 in 2023. For married couples, the exclusion is $34,000. As your gift to to your son is within the exclusion limits, you aren't required to file a gift tax return (Form 709). This is so even if you wrote the $34,000 check from a joint account.

Form 709 isn't supported by TurboTax. If needed, form 709 must be filed separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies