Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atpmsd
Returning Member

1719 Error in TurboTax 2018

Error 1719 cropped up in the 2017 version and Intuit has failed to fix the bug, so it is in the 2018 version. Basically, the TurboTax installer does not play nice with the Windows 10 Installer (only app I have that has this problem.) So, until they get around to fixing a year-old plus bug, here is the work around. You will need to do this before installing TurboTax and before each update on Windows 10 workstations.

1. Log off TurboTax

2 . Open task manager (right click on the bottom Windows bar)

3. Go to the "services" tab
4. Under "Description" select "Windows Installer"
5. Right click and select "Go To Details"
6. "msiexec.exe" will be highlighted. Right click and "end task"

7. Now you can install or update

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

This fix did not work for me. Followed your instructions to a T. Same error. Then when I went back to turn msiexec.exe back on, it I see it is already running again. I don't get it.

atpmsd
Returning Member

Don’t turn it back on! It starts automatically. 

Jemuller
Returning Member

I tried to use previous processes to solve the problem to no avail. Going to this site gave me instructions that were just a little bit different but it worked the first time. Thank You

Jemuller
Returning Member

The steps solved my install problem. After the install it started applying updates. About a third of the way through the process was hung up saying that another install was taking place and had to wait for it to finish. I went back to the process to  end the service task and did the same procedure and the update process continued on to completion.

I had this problem too, but the TurboTax tips didn't work for me, nor did the above steps. The thing that finally did it was under Task Manager > Details tab, I right clicked on msiexec.exe, but instead of selecting "End task," I selected "End process tree." After that, I re-ran the installer, and it finally finished successfully.

Thank u so much! My update was stuck on “waiting for Windows installer” and this was only thing worked for me!

Worked for me - tried some other solutions but this got me into the install and now it is updating.  Fingers crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies