Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave925
Returning Member

1099G

Turbo Tax filled in an amount for my state (Colorado) tax refund. I have not received a 1099G for 2019. How do I know if the amount is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1099G

It's using your last year's filing to fill that field in.  You can check it my loading up your return from 2018

DawnC
Expert Alumni

1099G

If you used TurboTax last year, we will transfer those amounts to this year's tax return.  You should verify the amount is correct and go through the state and local refund screens to ensure everything is correct.  You can check with the state or as suggested above, look at your 2018 tax returns which can be found at the bottom of the Tax Home page in TurboTax Online. 

If all three of the following are true, your refund counts as taxable income:

• You itemized deductions last year, instead of taking the standard deduction
  • You claimed state and local income taxes (not general sales taxes)
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill

Even when your refund is taxable, it may not be the entire amount. It depends on how much the deduction affected your refund or tax bill. Just answer a few simple questions about last year’s refund, and we’ll calculate the taxable amount for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dave925
Returning Member

1099G

Thank you all for your quick response. I think I was misunderstood, it's the 2019 1099G that I am asking about.

I haven't received a 2019 1099G from Colorado but Turbo Tax inserted an amount for it that I cannot verify.

How can I verify this amount?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

1099G

For the state tax deduction, the amount withheld (on W2 or 1099s) or entered as estimated tax to Colorado is the amount that TurboTax uses.  Next year the 1099-G will be the refund you received that is added back as income if you itemized and claimed the deduction.

@Dave925

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies