Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC

Why does Turbo Tax not consider a 1099-NEC as Earner Income? I'm trying to add to a Roth IRA and TT is telling me I have NO Earned Income, when I do. I have money earned on a 1099-NEC that is considered Earned Income. Please fix your TT program.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1099-NEC

Be sure to complete Sch C. If you have a net income on that schedule you will have earned income 

1099-NEC

I understand what you are saying if you have expenses, but what if you don't? The amount on form 1099-NEC is earned income for performing a service; in my case, writing reviews for Amazon Vine. I try out the product and write up a review/opinion of the said product. I could lie and say I had expenses to do so but? So shouldn't it show up on TT as earned income and therefore allowing me to add money to my IRA? Now it tells me I had 0 earned income. It worked perfectly when they used the 1099-MISC

Thank You

1099-NEC

You haven’t said whether you linked with Sch C which is the way the IRS knows you had earned income. In terms of expenses do you use a computer and internet for your business?  You can deduct the portion you use for business. You can also deduct health insurance premiums you paid. 

1099-NEC

No I did not link Schedule C because I merely write some reviews for Amazon Vine service. What expenses does that incur? I hadn't linked Schedule C (unless TT did it automatically) other years when I was paid with a 1099-MISC and it was counted as earned income then. This is the only earned income I have as I am retired. I have added to my IRA in the past using this figure as the amount I can add to my Roth IRA. If I can't do it, then I can't. I wasn't aware that I had to do a Schedule C before this year. 

Thank You

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies