Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC is asking me to link to Schedule C, but no matter what I put in the tab, it doesn't take. What am I missing?

Check This Entry is constantly popping back up when I try to link my nonemployee compensation to line 1 of Schedule C.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

1099-NEC is asking me to link to Schedule C, but no matter what I put in the tab, it doesn't take. What am I missing?

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses.  

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  If you do not have a Schedule C yet, follow the steps on the screen to get started.

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

Please follow-up after you have tried these steps and let me know if the problem was solved.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed these instructions and was able to find where it jumps to the "1099-NEC" page directly. In the income section, it only listed two 1099-NEC entries (one for LYFT, one for UBER) but on the "jump" page, it showed 4 entries, and one was still blank. Apparently the system was retaining information that was not being shown, but prevented the Schedule C from generating.

I deleted the 2 redundant entries and verified the information on the remaining 2. Success! I was able to complete the e-file for both Federal and State, and hopefully all is well.

Thanks again for the help!

marrotta6

This 100% fixed the issue for me.

this helped me as well: going to 1099-NEC delete them, and then go to Schedule C and adding 199-NEC again

Cyssie21

The workaround did not work for me. I deleted everything, started over and tried going in through the 'jump to schedule c' option twice.

Thanks so much for posting this solution! It worked! Deleted 1099 NEC and then reentered 1099 NEC in the schedule C section as you suggested. Thanks again!

dbh1395

Thanks so much! This worked for me after hours of trying to figure it out!

same here. No luck with the workaround.

Last week I spoke with someone over the phone who said this was a programming issue. At that time i signed up for an alert from turbotax saying they'd send me info when this problem was resolved and i haven't heard anything yet.

Oh wow that's a bummer you're just waiting for the issue to be worked out by turbo tax! This work around did work perfectly for me. Did you delete all the 1099-NEC info out and then reenter it under the schedule C section? It's so frustrating when things don't work like they should. Sorry you're having trouble! Best of luck! 

LB58

thank you very much for this fix.  I talked to TT by phone and they could not fix the issue. 

Happy to have been able to fix and file.

you need to delete 1099-NEC, but not from interview screen- go to search/ 1099-NEC/ jump to 1099-NEC and delete all the forms from there.  before going to Schedule C, again via search . Hopefully it will work. worked for me

These instructions work. I had been trying to submit my returns for a week. Customer service told me I needed to wait to submit on 2/12 because the software wouldn't allow returns to be submitted before then. Not correct at all! Follow the instructions listed and it will work fine.

THIS was helpful. I love you Vika!

This 100% worked, thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies