turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099-NEC is asking me to link to Schedule C, but no matter what I put in the tab, it doesn't take. What am I missing?

Deleted and re-entered. Still got error.

Logged out, then back in. Now passes final review.  Odd, a little disconcerting.

Returning Member

1099-NEC is asking me to link to Schedule C, but no matter what I put in the tab, it doesn't take. What am I missing?

Turbotax screw up on this 1099-NEC coding! What a surprise to me

chiaxiong

Hello! I deleted the 2020 1099-NEC & Expenses twice, re-entered and still getting an error that the Schedule C is missing. 

Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Make sure you enter a Schedule C as well. 

You will need to enter the information in both Form 1099-NEC and Schedule C sections.  You would start from the 1099-NEC section under "1099-MISC and Other Common Income".  You would then follow prompts to tell the program you are filing a Schedule C.  As it creates a Schedule C for you, you will need to go to the Schedule C portion separately to confirm your income amount, add related expenses and complete required information. 

In TurboTax online, here are the steps: 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the upper right menu, select Search and type in 1099nec and Enter
  • Select the Jump to 1099nec
  • Follow prompts to complete the section

Then 

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in schedule c and Enter
  • Select the Jump to schedule c
  • Next screen, "Your 2020 work summary" under your self employed business, select Review
  • Continue to enter related expenses and other required information

The net profit will show on line 8 of your Schedule 1 and Form 1040.

@chiaxiong

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmperilla

This solved me issue as well.

This did not work for me, even after multiple attempts. 

Tyler4242

Mine is still not working, been using TurboTax for years and never had to "link" anything like this, and have entered 1099 plenty of times.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I think it is because you entered the 1099-NEC in the wrong place. Here are the correct procedures for entering a 1099-NEC and linking with a Schedule C. First of all, delete your last 1099-NEC entry so you can start off with a clean copy. if necessary, go to tax tools>tools>delete a form>delete 1099-NEC. Once it's deleted, follow these steps.

1. Log into Turbo Tax if you aren't there already.
  2. Go to federal>income and expenses
  3. Self-Employment>show more
  4. Schedule C: 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, expenses>Self-employment income and expenses
  5. Enter your business profile after entering, you will select the button at the bottom of the page that says looks good.
  6. Then you will get a page that says, Let's enter the income for your Consulting work
  7. Select 1099-NEC to enter in your return You can ensured that you will receive no more error messages about linking to a Schedule C. 
jp8jr73
Returning Member

I can’t locate the search bar to get to the 1099 form. I’m using IPhone 11. Only has a ? And Live Advice. Please help

Cherbols

Rental Agent for single family house sends me a 1099 NEC to report rents received.  Turbo Tax forces me to use Schedule C even though I file a Schedule E.  The result was double reporting of rental income as Business Income also.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The rental agent should report your rents received on Form 1099-MISC not Form 1099-NEC.  There is a workaround that will allow you to report the 1099-NEC without generating a prompt to use a Schedule C and eliminate reporting the rental income twice.

When you enter the 1099-NEC on the page Does one of these uncommon situations apply? check the box for the line This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common). Follow the screen prompts to complete the entry.

Next, you need to back out this entry so that the amount is only counted once on your Schedule E.  To do this follow the same steps above except enter the 1099-NEC amount as a negative number and enter the description as an adjustment for 1099-NEC.

You have now reported the 1099-NEC, it will not add to your income, and can properly report your rental income on Schedule E 

@Cherbols

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies