turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 Misc non employee compensation misreported

I received 1099 Misc form and the amount shown is including income that I didn’t ‘earn’.  This was money that I was given to pick up his materials for jobs.  If I didn’t ‘earn’ this income, should it not be on there?  Do I need to have them redo with correct amounts?  I shouldn’t have to pay for money that I didn’t earn as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The 1099-MISC that you received is correct. It includes all the money that they paid to you. When you report your business income, you enter the amount that you paid for materials as a business expense. That reduces your net business income by the amount of the expenses. The effect on your tax is the same as if the amount was not included in the 1099-MISC. You will not be paying tax on the amount for materials.

@Overtorqued wrote:

I received 1099 Misc form and the amount shown is including income that I didn’t ‘earn’.  This was money that I was given to pick up his materials for jobs. 

If this were a true "gift", then you would not have earned (or taxable) income. What few facts are presented, however, indicate that you were given money in exchange for a service (picking up materials) and that militates against consideration of this transaction as a gift; it is taxable income to you. 

See https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1099-misc

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

tagteam and I interpreted your question differently. I assumed that the extra money was for the cost of the materials that you picked up, and you paid that amount to the supplier of the materials. tagteam assumed that the extra money was additional compensation to you for picking up the materials. Either way, the 1099-MISC is correct. If tagteam's understanding was correct, then you did earn the extra money by performing the service of picking up the materials, and you do not have a business expense for the materials. In that case, you should be paying tax on the additional money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies