turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought an alleged legal version of TurboTax Deluxe 2017 on eBay. Is this copy legal? Link: [removed]

I bought an alleged legal version of TurboTax Deluxe 2017 on eBay. Is this copy legal? Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263485612835?ul_noapp=true

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought an alleged legal version of TurboTax Deluxe 2017 on eBay. Is this copy legal? Link: [removed]

Random individuals on eBay are not authorized resellers.  We can't help you verify your copy, it might be legit but pirated, or it might be something worse.  Suggest you ask for a refund and down-rate the seller.  I have also reported it although I don't know what action can be taken.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Random individuals on eBay are not authorized resellers.  We can't help you verify your copy, it might be legit but pirated, or it might be something worse.  Suggest you ask for a refund and down-rate the seller.  I have also reported it although I don't know what action can be taken.

Thanks Opus17 for your quick and promptly response. How do I proceed for my copy to be verified? I contacted eBay representatives to screen the seller against counterfeit but seems they don't have means to verify the authenticity of the software.

As far as I know, Turbotax will not help you authenticate the software.  There are ways, using cryptographic hash values, to verify that two files are identical.  However, there are hundreds of different Turbotax installers (10 standard versions with a new installer released for every program update, which are roughly weekly) and even if Turbotax would give you the hash value for the particular installer and version you have, that would only serve to help the eBay seller cheat them of their profits.  You could call support and ask but I don't think they will tell you anything other than to uninstall and re-buy from a valid reseller.

Thanks again Opus17 for your feedback and support. eBay representatives are seemingly taking action on this seller now. The guy is so sassy that he is even requesting buyers to contact him off-the-grid via Gmail or Yahoo Mail to get the link for downloading. There's no passwords nor serial numbers nor cryptic codes nor nothing other than the executable of size 206,562,632 bytes. The seller assures me via Gmail that the copy is legit but he answers very briefly, sober and restrained; kind of trying to circumvent the issue avoiding further explanations about authenticity. So far, he has collected $1332 out of this post with 74 copies sold in a week and counting. I've been an eBay user/buyer for more than a decade and I good at distinguishing when something is counterfeit or not. Put my hands on fire that this is illegal. My best, Antonio.

Is there any new information on this?  I bought a copy last June so I could keep our son's info separate. I just started to download and it looked so strange I stopped when it told me I needed to restart my computer.

We can't tell you anything about unauthorized resellers or unauthorized downloads.  

There are a handful of authorized download sellers, they are all names you would recognize like Amazon, Staples, and so on.  Many more stores are authorized resellers of the CD version.  If you bought a download from an unauthorized reseller, we can't help you verify it.  At best, it is pirated, and you are cheating turbotax out of the profits they need to pay the programmers who actually make the program.  At worst, you get a corrupted program, or nothing, or your credit card info gets stolen.

Thank you.  I'm usually very careful about purchases.  I already buy turbo tax for business and our personal returns.  I will just pay for an extra state return in the future.  I have already done some thorough scanning just in case.

Ebay doesn't seem very concerned about Moroccan sellers who sell all forms of Turbotax (including "licenses") for $10 and less. When I reported the same issues with sellers from the same country during tax season, they didn't bother to follow up.

Current sellerS still active (maldouni: https://www.ebay.com/sch/maldouni/m.html?item=[phone number removed]&hash=item4d98b10d34%3Ag%3AWJQAA...) and ( amsa_3935: https://www.ebay.com/sch/amsa_3935/m.html?item=[phone number removed]&epid=[phone number removed]&ha...

I'm sure there are (or will be) other bootleggers.

Last tax season over, but the bootleggers continue selling. I'm sure the 2019 copies will be available in a few months, since both ebay and Intuit won't get together and do ANYTHING about it (and continue to ignore reports showing the OBVIOUS copyright violations).

At some point, it just isn't worth the time to get involved, since no one there even cares.

Thank you.

@Swampfox791 

Thanks for posting.  I've marked your message for a Moderator to look at on Monday.

@Swampfox791 - Unless the software is being sold by a recognized big box store (best-buy, Costco, Walmart, Amazon, and that type of store, etc. - {That is Amazon itself, not resellers that sell on Amazon}), you can assume that the software is not authorized and one of the reasons that some software is being sold for $10 is to get you to buy and install the malware that has been added to the software to take over your computer.  NEVER purchase brand name (or any other software) software from anyone other than a recognized business or you are inviting a host of problems.

Why aren't they shut down - because many of these offers hide behind websites that ultimately link to China or eastern block countries where US law can't reach. As soon  as one web site is shut down they create a new one and keep going.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ebay could "de-list" the software, since it is obviously bootlegged/pirated. But they have done absolutely nothing to even slow down the international sellers of "broken" software.

I personally would never want to download ANYTHING from someone in another country onto my computer. Especially a person who has shown that he is dishonest by pirating the software in the first place. Who is to know what else they may have installed on that download? And not just the downloading/installation, but also operating a program where you input all your personal information.

All these red flags..... international seller, illegal download, no license required, 1/10th the cost, violation reports......... and ebay looks the other way. And Intuit also demonstrates their lack of concern.

idat123

How does one become an authorized reseller of a CD Version if we have an e commerce shop?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Join TurboTax Affiliate and Partner Programs    @idat123

You can get current-year TurboTax programs directly from TurboTax.com. If you don’t obtain a CD, download, or activation code directly from us, we recommend that you get TurboTax from one of our authorized retailers listed below to ensure that you’re receiving an authentic TurboTax program.

TurboTax CD/Download authorized retailers and TurboTax Live retailers  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
idat123

Thank you Dawn, I meant if I want to become a reseller , is there a link or email you can provide I can follow ?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies