jj7299

quick form 8854 question

Is the "date of expatriation" on form 8854 the day I filed my I-407 or the day it was processed and approved? 

tagteam

quick form 8854 question

Well, not that this is correct, necessarily, but a plain reading of that sentence is simply the date you actually renounced with the proviso that it was later confirmed (e.g., if the renunciation was made in person on July 1st but not confirmed until October 1st, then the effective date should be July 1st).

tagteam

quick form 8854 question

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854#en_US_2021_publink10001536

[note the "earliest" of the dates]

jj7299

quick form 8854 question

"The date you renounced your U.S. citizenship before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States (provided that the voluntary renouncement was later confirmed by the issuance of a certificate of loss of nationality)" 

yes but does this mean the date of filing or the date it was processed? I read it takes a few months to process

tagteam

quick form 8854 question