turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about supreme court ruling

thank you. so i seen multiple articles saying that a supreme court ruling states 2 states cannot tax one income. i work in new york ONLY but my jobs office was based in new jersey, which is where i also live. i than left that job and got a different job in new jersey while still living in jersey, do i file both NYNJ for the first job even after that supreme court ruling says two states cannot tax one income? i never worked in NJ one time always new york for that job. just the office to send my paperwork to. @VolvoGirl 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

unless you want to take your case to SCOTUS - very costly - you pay for your lawyers - so read the paragraph in bold type below

note that this decision was handed down in 2015.   

The Supreme Court’s decision in Wynne affects not only Maryland; it also has ramifications for all states that limit the amount of the resident credit for taxes paid to other states.

Although Wynne invalidates only Maryland’s refusal to grant credit for taxes paid to other states, it raises a question: Are the other limitations that states place on the computation of their resident credit similarly invalid?

Many states limit the resident credit to a percentage computed by dividing the income taxed in the other state by the income that would be taxed as if the taxpayer were a resident, times the tax that would be due if the taxpayer were a resident. This could cause taxpayer residents in a state with a low tax rate to be put at a disadvantage if they have income that is taxable in a state with a higher tax rate.

without a ruling that would affect them, I doubt any other state has changed its laws to conform to the above decision.   I've worked with the tax programs for many states but not MD.   the comps go something like what MD use to use.    

so as its stands now you file a resident NJ return and a nonresident NY return.   on NY you only report the income earned while working in that state.  NJ will give you some credit for the taxes you paid to NY.  it might be that the credit is the full amount of taxes paid to NY.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes? What is your question?

thank you. so i seen multiple articles saying that a supreme court ruling states 2 states cannot tax one income. i work in new york ONLY but my jobs office was based in new jersey, which is where i also live. i than left that job and got a different job in new jersey while still living in jersey, do i file both NYNJ for the first job even after that supreme court ruling says two states cannot tax one income? i never worked in NJ one time always new york for that job. just the office to send my paperwork to. @VolvoGirl 

Anonymous
Not applicable

unless you want to take your case to SCOTUS - very costly - you pay for your lawyers - so read the paragraph in bold type below

note that this decision was handed down in 2015.   

The Supreme Court’s decision in Wynne affects not only Maryland; it also has ramifications for all states that limit the amount of the resident credit for taxes paid to other states.

Although Wynne invalidates only Maryland’s refusal to grant credit for taxes paid to other states, it raises a question: Are the other limitations that states place on the computation of their resident credit similarly invalid?

Many states limit the resident credit to a percentage computed by dividing the income taxed in the other state by the income that would be taxed as if the taxpayer were a resident, times the tax that would be due if the taxpayer were a resident. This could cause taxpayer residents in a state with a low tax rate to be put at a disadvantage if they have income that is taxable in a state with a higher tax rate.

without a ruling that would affect them, I doubt any other state has changed its laws to conform to the above decision.   I've worked with the tax programs for many states but not MD.   the comps go something like what MD use to use.    

so as its stands now you file a resident NJ return and a nonresident NY return.   on NY you only report the income earned while working in that state.  NJ will give you some credit for the taxes you paid to NY.  it might be that the credit is the full amount of taxes paid to NY.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies