turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Qualifying Surviving Spouse  Status - Turbo Tax error?

@Critter-3

@rjs 

Thank you all so much 

My wife passed away in  2022 

I did file as Married filing jointly in 2022   

My daughter turned 25 on December 31, 2023  (She is not disabled) 

My daughter lived with me all year in 2023 and I paid more than half of home expenses 

My daughter made more than $4700  in 2023 

TurboTax is saying I CAN file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse 

BUT I DON'T SEE HOW BECASUE OF MAY DAUGHTERS AGE?? 

Is this a bug or am I missing something?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not a bug. You can file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse. Your daughter's age doesn't matter. You cannot claim your daughter as a dependent, but she does qualify you to file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse.

There are two types of dependents, a Qualifying Child and a Qualifying Relative. Your daughter cannot be a Qualifying Child because of her age. But there is no age limit for a Qualifying Relative. What prevents you from claiming her as a Qualifying Relative is her income. But you can use your child to qualify as a Qualifying Surviving Spouse if the only reason you cannot claim her as a dependent is that her income was $4,700 or more. That is your situation.

View solution in original post

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@alevin04 wrote:

I think the reason I can't claim her as dependent is her age - so can I still be a Qualifying Surviving Spouse

TT seems to think so   

TurboTax is right. Her age is not the reason that you can't claim her as a dependent. There is no age limit for a "Qualifying Relative" dependent. If her income was less than $4,700 she would meet all the requirements to be a "Qualifying Relative," and you would be able to claim her as a dependent. The reason you can't claim her as a dependent - the only reason - is that she made more than $4,700. But you can still use her to allow you to file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It’s not her age but her income that disqualifies her from being your dependent. Be sure you checked the box saying she made more than $4,700. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not a bug. You can file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse. Your daughter's age doesn't matter. You cannot claim your daughter as a dependent, but she does qualify you to file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse.

There are two types of dependents, a Qualifying Child and a Qualifying Relative. Your daughter cannot be a Qualifying Child because of her age. But there is no age limit for a Qualifying Relative. What prevents you from claiming her as a Qualifying Relative is her income. But you can use your child to qualify as a Qualifying Surviving Spouse if the only reason you cannot claim her as a dependent is that her income was $4,700 or more. That is your situation.

@rjs 

Thank you so much 

Hate to be stickler but you wrote: 

But you can use your child to qualify as a Qualifying Surviving Spouse if the only reason you cannot claim her as a dependent is that her income was $4,700 or more. That is your situation.

I think the reason I can't claim her as dependent is her age - so can I still be a Qualifying Surviving Spouse

TT seems to think so  

Thanks again (you are the only person I have found who is knowledgeable in this area) 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@alevin04 wrote:

TT seems to think so   

TurboTax is right. Her age is not the reason that you can't claim her as a dependent. There is no age limit for a "Qualifying Relative" dependent. If her income was less than $4,700 she would meet all the requirements to be a "Qualifying Relative," and you would be able to claim her as a dependent. The reason you can't claim her as a dependent - the only reason - is that she made more than $4,700. But you can still use her to allow you to file as Qualifying Surviving Spouse.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies