turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2020: Procedure to file federal and state extension for 2020

I have the CD copy of TurboTax Premier.  How do I file an extension for 2020 electronically? If I file the extension does it file for both federal and state at the same time? After filing the extension does the program allow me to edit my started returns, and then file both federal and state electronically at NO charge?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You cannot electronically file the extension through the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, but you can use the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file your extension and pay any taxes you may owe.  You can create your extensions using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, but they will need to be mailed.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more details:  Can IRS extensions be e-filed?

As for your state extension, every state handles this a bit differently.  Take a look at the information in this TurboTax article to learn how your state handles extensions:  Do I need to file an extension for my personal state taxes?

When you come back to your returns to finish and electronically file using your CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, there will be no charge to electronically file your Federal return, but there is a charge for electronically filing your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I looked up State of Mass, and if mailed I use form M-4868, which is just a worksheet and voucher for payment.  I owe money, so is there any paperwork or form to file for the actual extension?  Also, you said there would be a charge to file electronically for the Mass state return???  My Premier CD version, says I get one free included E file for state return?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The form to use is just the voucher portion of Form M-4868.

Form M-4868 Instructions state:

Mail the completed voucher with your payment to:
Massachusetts Department of Revenue
PO Box 7062
Boston, MA 02204

Write your Social Security number(s) on the lower left corner of your check.

Make your check or money order payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Note: Any individual taxpayer making an extension payment of $5,000 or more must make the payment using electronic means. For further information on electronic filing and payment requirements, see TIR 16-9.

Pay online with MassTaxConnect.

TurboTax Premier CD/Download does included 1 state download, but e-filing the state is typically an additional charge. The price is based on the date on which you e-file.

need to file an extension 2020

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

Take the steps below to file an extension in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online.

2. Select File an extension at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen.
    • If you don't see the File an extension button in Step 2 above, search for extend in the upper right and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3.  Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension

More information can be found in this Help Article:  How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

If I filed for an extension for both federal and state (MA) but now do not need an extension, can I e-file today before midnight, or should I wait till at least tomorrow  , 5/18?  Also, why does it give me the choice  if I want to  e-file my state of MA return  EXTENSION, or my MA return?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can still file today or tomorrow.  It is up to you.  

As far as electronically filing you MA return or extension, I'm not sure what you are seeing exactly.  It sounds like you would be able to electronically file when you go through the File section of the program.  

Make sure you have submitted the MA extension request as well if you are planning to wait one more day to file.  The federal extension does not count as extending your MA return.

MA extensions

What it gives me is the following e-file options, It only will accept one of the two below to e-file.   I sent in my MA extension via US mail

Massachusetts Extension

O    E-file my state return now

O    Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later

Massachusetts

O    E-file my state return now

O    Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Under Massachusetts Extension, you could have selected the radial to E-file my state now to file the extension with Massachusetts electronically.  If it went out by mail today, though, that is also acceptable.

So, if I do not need the already mailed extension for MA and want to e-file tonight, then I should select the 2nd set of bubbles (choices) and choose Massachusetts regular and e-file my state return now, choice?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Correct.  You can go ahead and select electronically file your state tax return today.

I think the problem is that I mailed my application for a state of MA extension, along with a check for the amount I owed.  Since I did it this way, I have to select the 2nd choice of bubbles, and MAIL in my completed MA return and am not allowed to e-file it.  Correct??

i filed 4868 for fed extension. after completing 2020 state tax in September got notice from state (NJ) that "Your extension has been denied", and they put "Late filing penalty" of $1,463 on me! I thought state extension was automatic after filing Fed extension.

Carl
Level 15

For federal taxes and most states, the deadline for filing an extension for your 2020 taxes was May 17, 2021. So if you filed for an extension after that date, disapproval of the request is pretty much a given. when you do file the 2020 tax return you can expect to be assessed interest on any taxes due. There's the prossibility of being assessed a late filing penalty too.

Generally, if you are due a refund then no interest, penalties or late filing fines are assessed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies