tt5260322800adf

Pro-Forma Another State?

I've filed my state and federal 2016 returns ... no problems.
But now I'd like to do a "what if" ... what if, instead of VA, I'd filed an OR return?  would I have paid more or less State tax?

SteamTrain

Pro-Forma Another State?

Whatever you do, do not mess around in your real 2016 tax account...to do so would irreversibly destroy your 2016 tax file.

1)  Your one option to do that............you could create an entirely new account in the Online software (entirely separate UserID)......but would have to re-enter everything in the Federal section and pretend you are an OR resident....and then you couldn't print out your paperwork without paying all the software fees again...but you would see the results.

Or

2)  BUYING Desktop software is the only other option.  Desktop software has always been far superior to Online.  In that you can create as many test files an you want , you just save each with a different file name. Problem is that you might have to buy the extra state (Since it only comes with one free state).  You can download your datafile from your online account to input as your start-point too.

Or

3) Last option is to just take your current 2016 Federal printout---go to the Oregon tax website and find their 2016 PDF downloads and work thru it manually with the OR instructions.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

Pro-Forma Another State?

Or

Or