turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Print list missing schedule D

TTDeluxe does not show Schedule D in the Printing list when Summary entry is used and the cap gain/loss is zero.  Schedule D also doesn't appear in the side forms list.  It IS correctly filled out, I used dialog and Schedule D when brought up is filled out correctly.  But it isn't available in any print list and doesn't show in the print as filed.

When I changed the cost by 1 dollar it appeared in print list and side list!  Also when I entered individual transactions and kept them with their correct zero gain/loss all was well, print list and print as filed all had schedule D.

TT Deluxe has a bug!!!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

aebrells1,

I agree that something is definitely wrong and will try to reproduce and report the issue to the powers-that-be.  I could use your help in that there are two "summary" exceptions, one where there are no wash sales or other such adjustments and the other where a code M is used to say that a statement with the information is attached or will be mailed separately.  Which of the two did you use?

aebrells1,

I only have the Premier version of desktop and couldn't reproduce your situation on a quick try of putting in one transaction with zero gain or loss in summary mode.  Do let me know if you can some more parameters of your situation.  While it is possible that Deluxe is programmed a bit differently, as a long term software developer, I have difficulty reasoning why Deluxe and Premier would differ in determining which forms to print.

One note though, technically "gain" means more than zero and "loss" means less than zero.  Not every capital transaction with no gain or loss is reported to the IRS.  For example, if you buy a $1,000 six month CD and collect the interest through maturity when you get your $1,000 back, the only thing that is reported is the interest even though you bought and surrendered the CD for $1,000 each way.  Ditto for EE and some other long term bonds bought at a deep discount.  On the other hand, I have bought TIPS bonds through Treasury Direct at a premium and opted not to amortize the premium.  Those bonds at maturity did require reporting on Form 8949/Schedule D.  I'm not saying there is or isn't a bug, just musing a bit.

Thank you.  I used BOTH the summary exception for code M which means enter only summary data from broker, (since I had only type D no mailing required) and summary for "no exceptions needed". 

Schedule D was correctly filled out, just missing from the print list but made me wonder. 

Two things fixed the problem.  One, if I put in a cost one dollar off the sale price it was in the print list even with both the summary indicated.  Two, if I put in a single transaction with equal cost/value, not the summary code M but no exceptions needed, it worked fine also.

I ended up putting all my transaction in individually since there were just a few, and all is well.  But it was annoying since the dialog went smoothly and I only accidentally noticed it missing after giving printout for checking to husband. 

It was scary because it isn't clear if TT actually would have filed it correctly or not!

Thank you.  This was from a broker who certainly reports all the cd's since they are bought frequently at market.  So I know the broker reported it, I have the 1099B.  Not the same as with a bank directly.

Could you share the proceeds and cost basis for the summary entry?  Perhaps that will allow me to reproduce and determine if the effect would miscalculate taxes or just be a cosmetic issue that could trigger uncertainty.

The amount didn't matter, as long as the cost equals the selling price.  I used 10,000 for both.

aebrells1,

I gave it a few tries with different choices for the box A, B, C, D, E or F holding and basis reporting options and couldn't get my Premier desktop to break.  I'll report the issue, though, to the powers that be with instructions on how to test using Deluxe instead.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies