Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

durleste

Prepay for State Tax filing fee in TT after filing with State for Extension - and how to add payment made with extension

OK. Filing for 2023I  filed an extension and made a payment for my Federal Taxes, and Turbotax allowed me to also purchase and pay for my Federal Taxes. But since Turbotax doesn;t file State extension I had to do that through my statre's online website, where I also made a payment. So I have two question for which I cannot find the answers:

How can I also now prepay for my state filing with Turbotax (the directions in TT support do not work or help)

How do I get TT to allow me to enter, for my state info, the payment I made when filing for my extension?  Since all the data seems to be transferred from Federal, it doesn't give me anywhere to add in this payment I just made?

Last year this didn't seem to be a problem. Weird.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Prepay for State Tax filing fee in TT after filing with State for Extension - and how to add payment made with extension

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

durleste

Nope, absolutely no option appears allowing me to "choose what I work on."  That phrase won't even come up when I search help. I don't even see a way to get directlky to forms! I have been using TT for decades now ()I started on 5-1/4 floppy disk)  and each year it seems to get harder to manipulate things the way I need to!

Your post shows you are using the TurboTax desktop edition of Home & Business for Windows.

You have to Continue the 2023 tax return for the links posted to be available.

durleste

Mya pologies, I must have clicked the wrong option. I am using online Premium. I was able to find my way to entering this info by searching through Tax Tools for "estimates and other income taxes paid." For 2022 taxes, I was pretty sure that when I filed my Turbotax Federal extension, that payment was automatically transferred into my return, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. Perhaps I would be better off switching back to the downloadable versions again next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies