Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PIN Code in TurboTax

I have used Turbotax successfully for years. As part of the filing process every year the software autofills a 5 digit numeric PIN . This code is the same every year and was generated by me when I first used the software many years ago. Is this code just for TurboTax internal controls or does this code protect me from criminals attempting to file taxes with the IRS under my name? I understand that the IRS issues 6 digit security PIN's (which change every year and are communicated by US Mail) to increase individual security. Should I abandon the static code I currently use and register for the IRS generated code? My goal is to foil criminals from filing under my name. Any clarity/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

PIN Code in TurboTax

The 5 digit PIN is a number you selected at one time when you were in the File section of the program.  It will be used each tax year if you transfer the prior year tax return tax data to the current tax year.  It is Not a security feature to prevent someone one else from using your personal information to file a tax return.

For that type of protection you would need an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS 

Go to this IRS website for the IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

View solution in original post

3 Replies

PIN Code in TurboTax

The 5 digit PIN is a number you selected at one time when you were in the File section of the program.  It will be used each tax year if you transfer the prior year tax return tax data to the current tax year.  It is Not a security feature to prevent someone one else from using your personal information to file a tax return.

For that type of protection you would need an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS 

Go to this IRS website for the IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

PIN Code in TurboTax

Thank you for your prompt response. What is the purpose of the 5 digit code embedded in TurboTax? From previous posts I also see that people have trouble entering the 6 digit IRS code in the TurboTax 5 digit space. Any advice on that?

PIN Code in TurboTax

The 5 digit PIN is the e-file PIN that is used by the IRS to validate your electronic tax return.  This is used along with your prior year AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies