Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JM9973

Penalty/Interest Fee

I e-filed my Taxes.  Four Tax Vouchers are listed on my paperwork but I did not select a payment plan option.  My Payment total includes a Penalty/Interest amount even though I authorized complete payment before 4/15/24.  Why am I being charged a Penalty/Interest Fee?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Penalty/Interest Fee

@JM9973 

If you owed a large amount this year, those 4 1040ES vouchers are for Pre-Paying your 2024 taxes.....and are not for what you owe for 2023 that you are filing now.

Those forms can be ignored if you are sure you will be paying enough during 2024, thru withholding, such that it covers this 2024 year's taxes such that you will not owe more than $1000 at tax time when you prepare your 2024 taxes.   The fact that those 1040ES forms were prepared, is not sent to the IRS, so they are not expecting them to show up.

Penalties and interest assessed on your 2023 tax return is usually the result of default calculations indicating you "might' have upderpaid during one or more calendar quarters of the 2023 tax year.   This can result if you owed more than $1000 at tax time.....it can even happen if you get a refund, but made any uneven quarterly estimated tax payments during the year.  The penalty&interest charge can sometimes be reduced or eliminated by filling out the form 2210/2210AI. Where you define all your income, tax payments, deductions, withholding etc...etc.. by quarter (3mos, 2mos, 3mos 4mos)...but if penalty/interest assessed is less than ~$50 I don't bother because the work involved gathering all that data isn't worth the effort (~$50 is my limit)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies