turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paying a therapist using HSA



My kid went through some therapy by a licensed practitioner and I am wondering if I can pay it using my HSA? My insurance does not cover it.

1 Reply

Paying a therapist using HSA

It depends. Contact your HSA as therapy varies.


You can pay qualified medical expenses with an HSA. Qualified medical expenses are those expenses that would generally qualify for the medical and dental expenses deduction. These are explained in Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses.


The IRS says you can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for therapy received as medical treatment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies