Darcy Vail

Partial Year, and Deductible Expenses

Hi, I have two questions:

(1) I moved towards the end of February 2021 to a different state. I don't know if there is a threshold for length of time lived in a state that will trigger the need to file a partial-year return (or if there even is one). Will I need to file a partial-year return for the state I left? 

(2) Are any move expenses deductible if I made the move as the result of a personal decision? In other words, my employer didn't require me to move for my job.

Nick-K-EA

Partial Year, and Deductible Expenses

Each state has an income threshold over which you are required to file. If you exceed that amount, you will file a partial year resident return in the state you left. Even if you aren't required, depending on your individual situation, you might want to file a return to get a refund of withholding.

Moving expenses are no longer deductible even if the employer did require it, unless you are a military member and moving under orders. 

Nick K, EA
lisah4

Partial Year, and Deductible Expenses

Hi Darcy,

For your first question, you may have to file a part year resident return in the state you moved from if you had any income in that state for January or February. It would depend on how much income and what state as every state has different minimum income filing requirements. This link may help you with that determination:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/state-taxes/multiple-states-where-to-file/L5NxnNH21

For the answer to your second question I  have provided a link on moving expenses , unfortunately you can't deduct moving expenses anymore unless you are in the military.  You can look at the link provided for more information on that: - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/guide-to-irs-form-3903-moving-expenses/L6CwmGm3...

Congratulations on your move and please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,

Lisa, EA