Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part time resident status

I am doing taxes for my parents who lived in CA for the first 3 months of the year and North Carolina for the remaining 9. For the NC state taxes, I split up the amounts earned in NC for the 9 months. The next screen asks for how much of their social security was paid or incurred as a result of income reported in NC. 

I am confused on this-do I again put the portion that was earned during their time in NC? 12,114 out of $16,152. It then taxes them a bunch of money. Doesn't seem right.

Also, they are taxing them on depreciation of a sewer line of a rental they own in CA.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

North Carolina allows a subtraction for Social Security benefits taxed on your federal return.

Enter the amount of Social Security your parents received while living in NC on the screen Part-Year Resident Income Allocations.

Enter the same amount as a subtraction on the next screen under SS/RRB Benefits. This will subtract the amount. The NC refund/tax due box should change when you do this.

Rental income from California is taxed by NC. North Carolina part-year residents pay tax on income earned everywhere while a resident.

Enter the amount of rental income received while living in NC in the column North Carolina Income While a Nonresident.

You can claim a credit for tax paid to California on that income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

On the income allocations, what goes under NC resident income vs income while non resident. My parents lived in NC 9 months and CA 3 months.

They receive interest, pensions, and social security, plus the rental income. I was splitting up the interest, pension, and SS by months and allocating 9 months in the left column. 

Also, on page with SS/RRB if total SS was $16,152 and I calculated $12,114 was earned while living in NC, do I put the balance in NC adjustments while non resident?

my parents never have to pay state tax in California so it’s confusing to see they are owing in NC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies