Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part I of Form 8801 being left blank by TurboTax

So I have a credit carryover from tax year 2022, shown on Form 8801, Line 26. I used TurboTax last year as well, and looking at my 2022 taxes, Part I and Part II of form 8801 were completed, but Part III was left blank.

On my taxes this year, TurboTax is leaving Part I of Form 8801 blank. Part II is completed, and it shows my 2022 credit carryforward on Line 19. Line 26 displays 0, as I do not have a credit carryforward into 2024. Part III is also completed, and Line 55 is 0.

I am unsure if this will have any sort of material impact to my taxes, and I'm not sure why TurboTax is skipping Part I of Form 8801. 

I've tried deleting the form via Tools. Even though I get through the screens and it says the form has been deleted, I refresh the browser and the form is still there. 

I've also tried navigating to Deductions & Credits -> Credits for AMT Paid in Prior Year. It shows a value for 2022, but for 2023, says "Needs Review". When I click Review, I get a screen that says "Congrats, you get a tax break. Your $xxx credit just saved you money on your taxes this year. I am using TuboTax Premier Online.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Follow up question. Is it possible that TurboTax is leaving Part I blank because it has no impact on the end calculations? I've tried running through the entire Form 8801 manually, and here is what I end up with:

- Line 15 $0

- Line 25 $500 (same as TurboTax calculation)

- Line 26 $0

I believe the above 3 are the key figures from Form 8801, unless I am missing something.

Here is my token number: 1226505

Is anyone able to assist? As things stand right now, I am unable to submit my taxes. I contacted Intuit support and didn't get any help, not even an offer to try the desktop version instead of web to see if that is the issue. Part I of 8801 is completely blank, and no amount of troubleshooting has helped.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I have reviewed the data from the token that you provided and the Form 8801 instructions.  It seems that the items in Part I don't apply in your situation, though it's not at all obvious that's the case by simply looking at the form. 

When reviewing the instructions HERE it appears that the first few items on that form refer to only estates and trusts.  From there the lines seem to have very specific references that aren't displayed on the form itself such as data from 1040NR (line 10), information from excluded foreign earned income (line 11).

When looking at the form without the line-by-line instructions, it does appear that they should be populated, but looking into the instructions clarifies a bit more.

So, yes, TurboTax is skipping this because it has no impact on the calculations and the data that is to go there isn't applicable in your case.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@SusanY1 Thanks. That was my initial thought...however, I am looking at my 2022 return (which was also completed with TurboTax), and for 2022, Part I of the Form 8801 was in fact populated by TurboTax. Unless I am misinterpreting the form and the instructions, it certainly does not seem that Part I is only for Estates...

For example, Line 1 says "Combine lines 1 and 2e of your 2021 Form 6251. Estates and trusts, see instructions", which to me reads as "Combine lines 1 and 2e of your 2021 Form 6251, but for Estates and trusts, please see instructions".

This almost certainly appears to be a bug, and is not giving me much confidence in filing with TurboTax. I have to imagine my e-file will be rejected if a good part of a required form is simply left blank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies