Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Parent as a Dependent

Hello,

I am processing my tax return for 2023. I put down my mother as a dependent because she lives with me and I pay the majority of her bills. She only gets social security which I know is not earned income. My question is, should I be receiving a bigger refund for her? Because it only went up $10 more. My AGI is $28,000 and I am already filing as Head of Household because I already claim my 16yr old son as a dependent. Am I doing something wrong? I read everywhere that $500 is the max credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Parent as a Dependent

Did you have enough tax liability to apply the $500 credit for other dependents to. It’s only available to pay tax debt .

Parent as a Dependent

All you "get" for claiming an adult dependent is the $500 credit for other dependents.  That credit is not refundable.  It can only be used to reduce any tax you owed.  Sorry....   If you claimed a child who is 16 you should be getting child tax credit for him and some earned income credit, which adds to your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Parent as a Dependent

Nope, no tax debt. I figured but I wanted to make sure. Other people (and my mother) kept telling me that it was refundable and that it would increase your refund. Thanks for confirming.

Parent as a Dependent

Did you have enough tax liability to apply the $500 credit for other dependents to. It’s only available to pay tax debt .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies