turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owe for 2023

My husband & I claim Married & 0 on our W4. We've owed IRS for the last several years. Should we claim Single & 0 instead? We also started contributing to our 401K's & deducting for an HSA in hopes that the pre-tax monies will make a difference in our AGI. Is there any way we can see if we're on the right track?

1 Reply
Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Owe for 2023

Hello Tami-Confused, 


Thank you so much for joining us!  I'm sorry that you have owed these last several years, I know that can be frustrating.   The steps you have taken are absolutely perfect steps to reduce your taxable income.  Changing your W-4 to single 0 will increase the amount of Federal taxes withheld from your paychecks.  With your current check stubs and the pretax deductions, you can always use the TurboTax Caster to see where your tax return may look like.  Some also opt to have additional withholding.  There is a worksheet on the W4 for Multiple Jobs or Spouse works (Pg 3, Step 2(b) that can help determine if you need to have additional withholding.  Here are the links to those mentioned above.  Good job for being proactive, and thank you again for participating!

W4:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf 

TaxCaster:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies