Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owe Federal & State Taxes. Efiled w/TurboTax Direct Debit on May 17. Rejected May 18. Resubmitted 2x. Finally accepted. Will my Direct Debit payment be considered late?

The first time my return was Rejected, I resubmitted before midnight on May 17, but it got Rejected a 2nd time after the deadline on May 18 even though my AGI was correct. I resubmitted a 2nd time with same correct AGI on May 18 and my Federal Tax finally got Accepted on May 18 and State is Pending.
1) Even though I originally efiled my Federal and State tax returns on May 17, they were rejected after the deadline and my Federal was finally accepted on May 18 after 2 resubmissions (NJ State still pending).
- Will my Direct Debit payments through TurboTax be considered late because my rejection and resubmissions occurred a couple hours after the deadline on May 18?

2) After my Federal and State Tax returns got Rejected a 2nd time around 2am on May 18, I got worried that my additional resubmissions would continue to get rejected and I would get penalized for increasingly late payments because I chose to Direct Debit through TurboTax with my efile. So around 2am on May 18, I also went to IRS website and NJ State Taxation website and directly made payments for my Federal and NJ State taxes directly on the respective websites.
- Now that my Federal return finally got Accepted on May 18 (State pending), how will my duplicate payments be handled by Federal and NJ State? Should I try to cancel any payments?

Thanks for your help. This is my first time using TurboTax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Owe Federal & State Taxes. Efiled w/TurboTax Direct Debit on May 17. Rejected May 18. Resubmitted 2x. Finally accepted. Will my Direct Debit payment be considered late?

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted, but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

• Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date.
  • To cancel, call the U.S. Treasury Financial Agent at 888-353-4537. Then, to schedule a new payment, go to the IRS Direct Pay site.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but will my Direct Debit payments through TurboTax be considered late because my May 17 returns got Rejected and Accepted on May 18 after the deadline?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, your payment will be considered late.

• If you owe taxes, you have until May 17 to pay your taxes, correct the rejection, and e-file or paper-file your return to avoid possible penalties. By midnight on May 17, your return must either be retransmitted (and later accepted, regardless of date) or postmarked for it to not be considered late.

I retransmitted the 1st time right before midnight on May 17 but that 1st retransmission got rejected after midnight.  So I retransmitted a 2nd time after midnight and that 2nd retransmission got Accepted on May 18. So my 1st retransmission was before midnight on May 17, but it got rejected after midnight, and the transmission that finally got Accepted was on May 18.  

-Would I be able to show the chain of events to avoid penalty of late payments? If so, how?

-The date I scheduled my DirectDebit payments through TurboTax was for May 17. Would that be indicated anywhere when my Federal and State taxes are efiled through TurboTax?

Thanks

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

When or if you get a letter from the IRS with any penalties or interest charges, you'll be able to dispute the charges. Make sure you print out your rejection and acceptance notices today and keep them with your tax file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies