Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Override Not Working

Trying to create a relative's return in TurboTax Deluxe Desktop so that I can correct errors and file an amended return for them.  Need to override AGI in the entry process to account for an addition error they made on what they already have filed.  Override does not seem to work on any 1040 field.  I was able to override in the state return, but not the Federal 1040.  Can't file an amended using TurboTax unless I can duplicate the original.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Override Not Working

You have to create the federal tax return that was filed exactly as it was originally filed, including all errors.  After the tax return is completed then in the File section you select that you will be printing and mailing the tax return.  Complete the File section so the software thinks the return has been mailed.

After the tax return has been completed, then you can start the Amend procedure.

Continue the completed tax return.

Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the desktop program screen

Click on Other Tax Situations

Under Other Tax Forms

On Amend a return, click on the start button.

Override Not Working

Thanks, Champ.  I am having trouble recreating the errors on the original.  There was a math addition error on the original. I need to be able to override AGI to recreate the original.  An6nideas?

Override Not Working

In TurboTax Forms mode there is no way to Override the Adjusted Gross Income on the Form 1040 Line 11.  You will have to adjust the income on the tax return to equal the AGI on the filed return.

Override Not Working

you should not file an amended return until the taxpayer's original return is fully processed. The IRS computers should catch the math errors and adjust the return accordingly. Then when you file the amended return you start with the return as corrected by the IRS.  There may be no need to file an amended return if the IRS catches all the errors and if any other changes you would make will not change their tax liability/refund 

you would not be able to e-file the amended return if you do overrides. 

Override Not Working

Thanks, Mike9241.  I had not thought about waiting to see if the IRS caught the addition error.  I will still need to file an amended as there are errors in some other figures reported, including the state return.  Some good, some not so good.  Still disappointed that I can’t override the 1040 calculated figures.  Was able to do so on the state return.

Override Not Working

@Brian Galuardi overrides void the Turbotax accuracy guarantee and shouldn't be needed because the state should also catch the math errors. He should be getting letters/notices from the IRS/state showing the corrections made. So these numbers need to appear in "the amount reported or as previously adjusted" column - (Column A on 1040-X) Thus overrides shouldn't be necessary and would delay their processing. E-filing them will not be possible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies