turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long did your manual review for state take?

My Oregon tax refund is under manual review and I haven't received any letter from them either. how long did yours take?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Writing as a TurboTax employee, we generally don't reply to questions such as this, where you are obviously seeking community input from other Oregon income tax filers; and not looking for legal or technical answers to tax and software issues.

However, I feel compelled to weigh in on this particular thread, because I have a relevant professional experience to share with you.  As part of my practice as a CPA, I prepare individual and business tax returns for a small private group of income tax filers, in addition to my employment at TurboTax.

With that fact understood, I had reason to prepare and file an Oregon Form 40 (full-year resident) state tax return last season (2015 tax year) with the Oregon Department of Revenue.  It was filed in late March, and subsequently "held for manual review" as you indicate in your text.  The taxpayer at issue did not receive their state of Oregon tax refund until mid-August, months later that same year.

There were no adjustments made to the tax return by the Oregon Department of Revenue, no questions ever asked of the taxpayer (by letter or otherwise), and no other explanation ever provided, aside from the indication that it went through a manual review process.  The Oregon Department of Revenue did pay a small amount of interest (as required by Oregon law) for the delayed refund, in addition to the original refund claimed.

Thus, although it did take nearly 5 months from the time of filing, the taxpayer here did eventually receive their state of Oregon refund, plus interest.

I would invite others to post their personal experiences as well, as I have just this one single case to share.

Hopefully this story will give you one indication of a successful (albeit slow to resolve) outcome, where a manual review of a tax return is performed by the Oregon Department of Revenue.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

67 Replies
GeoffreyG

Writing as a TurboTax employee, we generally don't reply to questions such as this, where you are obviously seeking community input from other Oregon income tax filers; and not looking for legal or technical answers to tax and software issues.

However, I feel compelled to weigh in on this particular thread, because I have a relevant professional experience to share with you.  As part of my practice as a CPA, I prepare individual and business tax returns for a small private group of income tax filers, in addition to my employment at TurboTax.

With that fact understood, I had reason to prepare and file an Oregon Form 40 (full-year resident) state tax return last season (2015 tax year) with the Oregon Department of Revenue.  It was filed in late March, and subsequently "held for manual review" as you indicate in your text.  The taxpayer at issue did not receive their state of Oregon tax refund until mid-August, months later that same year.

There were no adjustments made to the tax return by the Oregon Department of Revenue, no questions ever asked of the taxpayer (by letter or otherwise), and no other explanation ever provided, aside from the indication that it went through a manual review process.  The Oregon Department of Revenue did pay a small amount of interest (as required by Oregon law) for the delayed refund, in addition to the original refund claimed.

Thus, although it did take nearly 5 months from the time of filing, the taxpayer here did eventually receive their state of Oregon refund, plus interest.

I would invite others to post their personal experiences as well, as I have just this one single case to share.

Hopefully this story will give you one indication of a successful (albeit slow to resolve) outcome, where a manual review of a tax return is performed by the Oregon Department of Revenue.

Thank you.

I have had Oregon manually review my taxes for the past 5 years! Including this year. I'm sick of it! It takes forever to get my refund back, 5+ months. 4 out of the 5 there was no explanation provided or information requested. Once they made an adjustment with an explanation I didn't understand and reduced my refund. Each time interest was paid. Even after calling I had no explanation as to why. The answering service for the number provided had no clue what to say. The only thing they can do is submit an inquiry if you have not received any communication AFTER 12 business weeks. 12 business weeks includes only weekdays and is reduced by holidays so its roughly 4+ months.

This year is the first year that my taxes are ever being manually reviewed, and this does not give me hope. Looks like I'm moving out in 5+ months.

I had an amended return with them 2 years ago and it took almost a full year to get my money back (the previous one had me owing). Interest is pennies compared to how long you have to wait. I am not hopeful to get it any time soon this year once I saw a manual processing message. They are short staffed. Im glad I have finally moved and dont have to deal with them anymore after this year.

I haven't gotten mine yet...
sdeemar50

I filed my Oregon tax return electronically in early February and they are on hold for at least 12 weeks which is April, I am not being audited, it seems to be because I used Turbo Tax. I literally have to call the state to get answers on why it is taking so long.

I called the state to look for answers, and they weren't helpful at all. They said it's basically in a pile, ready to be manually reviewed. I asked if it was like a queue system, and first come first serve type of thing, and the lady had no idea the process it took.

I filed January 29th, and I'm still under manual review, and it feels hopeless, honestly.

Filed Feb 3rd and I am still waiting as well. No mail from them no questions. I filed with a different tax program electronically. Filed a scheduled c but otherwise nothing special. Federal return is already in as of Feb 21st. No info as to why I was selected for the Honor of manual return. Question is though why oh why if they cannot process our returns manually for months upon months did they not leave them in the automated process? Perhaps take a smaller bite so they don't choke?

They are borrowing our money without our consent - because they can.

I filed February 17 via TurboTax and claimed a childcare deduction.  The Feds already deposited my refund.  3 weeks after filing (5 March), I received a letter from the OR revenue service requesting additional documents regarding the childcare deduction.  4 weeks further along (as of today--29 March), I called and spoke with them.  They said that they have received all required documents from us and that as soon as they did receive those documents, they placed my file back into the queue.  So the clock of them processing my return was restarted once they received those documents.  They are manually processing my returns, so who knows when I will see my ~$3500 refund!?  According to my friend that works in an accountant's office, for some reason, the State is being more persnickety about the childcare deductions and that every one of their clients that have claimed that deduction have gone through the same thing.  I just hope they don't take 4-5 months like some of the other commenters are citing--I'm a full time graduate student AND working parent and rely on those refunds to get to us in a timely manner.

I didn't even claim children...
sunny11

I am single and claimed no special deductions....My return is marked as being manually reviewed.  It is two months, as of today.  I will be very disappointed if my return takes 4-5 months.  I suggest that we all write letters to our various Oregon Reps, as this really appears to be a poorly managed operation.......
dxchalo

Mine is also being manually processed by the state of Oregon. I did mine early February and I'm still waiting. I really hope it doesn't take 4 to 5 months. The sooner I get this return, the sooner it'll be right back in their hands. I have some old bills to pay and would really enjoy taking that stress off my shoulders.
pengwin1

Oregon is ridiculously sluggish and seems to do move at sloth speed with everything, not just tax refunds. Mine, too, was pulled for manual processing for the first time ever. Since it took the state MONTHS to issue every single one of my teaching licenses and god help you if you verbally inquire, I am not holding my breath for this, as I am not attractive at that shade of blue.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies