Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

only losses, why do I owe?

I’m trying to amend my 2020 return. In 2020, I made neither personal nor business income. After amending with TurboTax, my AGI was ($14k), taxable income was $0. My original already had losses, and the amended return only increased them.

Federal withholding was $486, and overpayment was $608.  State withholding was $57. 

I have not yet filed the amended returns. I owed nothing in my original return.

After amending, TurboTax indicates I now owe $122 to the IRS and $220 to CA FTB.

Why do I owe payment now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Then what 14k income did you have?  What was the withholding from?   And how did get a bigger refund than your withholding?  

No one on this board can access your account or see your returns.  Start by printing a copy of the original and amended returns and compare them side by side to see what changed.  You may have made a data entry error, or something that was reducing your tax was changed because your eligibility changed.  What was the reason for the losses, business or personal (capital gains on schedule D, rental, etc.)

Thank you for your reply.  My apologies.  The AGI is a negative $12k.  The wages income was only $5.3k.  I had Schedule C losses of $14k.

Thank you @Opus 17 for your reply.  Business losses were $14k, and personal losses were $3k Schedule D loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies