Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Online tutoring and QBI (qualified business income)

Hello,

For the past couple of years, I have worked as an online tutor both for U.S.- and overseas-based companies (all my work has been done from the U.S.). I work as an independent contractor and do not receive any tax forms from these companies. My question is about the Qualified Business Income deduction. I don't really consider myself to have a tutoring "business," as these have been side jobs for me. However, do I still enter this income as Schedule C income, and does the income earned from these jobs count toward the QBI deduction? Also, does my work done for the foreign company also qualify, since the work was done in the U.S.?

Thank you for your help! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, your income is considered business income since you are providing services as a non-employee. As such, your income would be considered qualified business income (QBI). Your income would also be considered QBI even though you are providing services to sources in a foreign country.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, your income is considered business income since you are providing services as a non-employee. As such, your income would be considered qualified business income (QBI). Your income would also be considered QBI even though you are providing services to sources in a foreign country.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies