Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I finished my 2016 taxes online. BUT, I am confused about how much I have paid already...and how much I still owe to the state and also how much I owe to the federal.

I am confused about how much I have paid already and how much I still owe to the state and also federal. Where do I find that information? Also, what do I have to send in with my payments?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I finished my 2016 taxes online. BUT, I am confused about how much I have paid already...and how much I still owe to the state and also how much I owe to the federal.

Once you completed your tax return, you had a balance due listed on:

• Line 78 of Form 1040;
  • Line 50 of Form 1040A; or
  • Line 14 of Form 1040EZ.

This is the amount that you hadn't paid by the time you filed your return, and the amount that you must pay by April 18, or the IRS will begin charging interest.

If you didn't print your tax return, you can still do that. Log into TurboTax. If your return has been accepted, there will be a large box saying "Welcome home," and under that will be a line in blue to view or print your return (see the screenshot below).

There were three ways to pay your balance due:

1. By check;
  2. By credit or debit card; or
  3. By direct debit from your bank account.

All three of those will leave a record. Even if  you don't have a bank account, you would have gotten a receipt for that money order. All you have to do is to access your bank or credit card records to find out what you have already paid since you filed your return.

If you are still unable to find out what you have paid, the IRS will send you a letter to remind you. They will be charging interest by that point, but the interest is currently only 3% per year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Once you completed your tax return, you had a balance due listed on:

• Line 78 of Form 1040;
  • Line 50 of Form 1040A; or
  • Line 14 of Form 1040EZ.

This is the amount that you hadn't paid by the time you filed your return, and the amount that you must pay by April 18, or the IRS will begin charging interest.

If you didn't print your tax return, you can still do that. Log into TurboTax. If your return has been accepted, there will be a large box saying "Welcome home," and under that will be a line in blue to view or print your return (see the screenshot below).

There were three ways to pay your balance due:

1. By check;
  2. By credit or debit card; or
  3. By direct debit from your bank account.

All three of those will leave a record. Even if  you don't have a bank account, you would have gotten a receipt for that money order. All you have to do is to access your bank or credit card records to find out what you have already paid since you filed your return.

If you are still unable to find out what you have paid, the IRS will send you a letter to remind you. They will be charging interest by that point, but the interest is currently only 3% per year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies