Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I fill in the entire amount of a cash gift of $45,000 on IRS Form 709, Schedule A, Part 1 or, $30,000 which would be the gift minus the $15,000 annual exclusion?

Filling out Form 709 by myself.

No way to e-file 709 presently.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Do I fill in the entire amount of a cash gift of $45,000 on IRS Form 709, Schedule A, Part 1 or, $30,000 which would be the gift minus the $15,000 annual exclusion?

On form 709, you will enter the total gift amount in Schedule A Part 1. The annual exclusion is then deducted in Part 4.- Taxable Gift Reconciliation.

Edited 04/04/2019  |  1:49 PM PST

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

TT does not support form 709./
MinhT
Expert Alumni

On form 709, you will enter the total gift amount in Schedule A Part 1. The annual exclusion is then deducted in Part 4.- Taxable Gift Reconciliation.

Edited 04/04/2019  |  1:49 PM PST

Follow the instructions; you enter the full amount and then the annual exclusion is deducted in Part 4.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i709#idm140297522159072

You should also seek advice from legal and tax professionals for gifting and related returns. This is not a DIY project.

MinhT
Expert Alumni

Thank you @tagteam. I have amended my answer.

You are quite welcome.

There have been a disturbingly large number of users trying to prepare a 709, are confused, and posting questions here.

I sincerely hope they consider consulting with legal/tax professionals because this area is a legal/tax minefield.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies