turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On a 1040x can I reduce the original over payment that was applied to 2018 estimated taxes to pay the 2017 balance due?

My original return was filed electronically & accepted by the IRS.  I applied my entire 2017 refund of $4,045 to 2018 estimated taxes.  Now I've filed a 1040x and owe $945.  Can I pay that $945 by reducing the $4,045 to $3,100?

The form I printed with Turbo Tax says on 1040x line 20, and in the instructions, that I should write a check to the IRS for $945.  The printed forms also include a new revised 1040 that shows the amount I overpaid and which will be applied to my 2018 estimated taxes is $3,100 (1040 lines 75 & 77). 

Something's wrong.  I shouldn't write a check AND have a lower amount applied to 2018 estimated taxes.  That's paying twice.  I'd prefer to not write a $945 check.  I would rather pay my additional $945 2017 balance due by reducing the 2017 refund applied to my 2018 estimated tax payment.  Can I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

On a 1040x can I reduce the original over payment that was applied to 2018 estimated taxes to pay the 2017 balance due?

Yes. There is more than one way you could handle this situation. The key is to ensure you and the IRS agree how to allocate your original refund to each tax year. As you alluded to, you could file an amended federal tax return and include a written request that the IRS allocate $945 from the original refund of $4,045 to the 2017 current tax year and apply the remainder of $3,100 to the 2018 future tax year. You should verify this amount is reported on your 2018 federal tax return. You may have to follow up with the IRS afterwards (especially if they still send a bill) to ensure the amounts have been properly allocated to the appropriate tax years.

[Edited 02.27.18 | 7:00PM PST]

Please see my edited answer.
jomshopper
Returning Member

Did explaining that you wanted to just reduce the overpayment applied to the next year work? or did you have more follow up with the IRS?

Does anyone know, If you were to pay the additional amount owed for the current year in cash, which would essentially mean that you also lifted the amount you overpaid back to the amount that was on the original return, before you knew you owed more, Will you be able to include that additional payment as estimated tax for the next year, even though the revised 1040 line 36 showed the reduced amount of overpayment?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes it can be done.

At the end of all of your transactions being processed by the IRS, if you have a credit balance you will have to contact the IRS to move the money on your account.  There is no form for you to file to do that just contact the IRS

@jomshopper

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies