Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Old TurboTax files

My laptop has TurboTax files from 2017 to 2022. I use the desktop version which I download each year from the TurboTax CD. The hard drive on the laptop crashed a few months ago and I had to have it replaced. All the TurboTax files were recovered and were installed on the new hard drive but the original download for TurboTax  from 2017-2022 could not be recovered. When I install TurboTax 2023 will all the data from previous years migrate over to TurboTax? There are carry forward losses that I need to transfer to the 2023 version. If the data won't migrate, do I need to reinstall the 2017-2022 TurboTax CDs? I still have them.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Old TurboTax files

If you have the .tax file for each year on your computer, you would not need the download software for the information to be brought into your tax return for this year. 

View solution in original post

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Old TurboTax files

You don't need the tax files for all the previous years. When you start your 2023 tax return, information is transferred only from the 2022 file. Information is carried from year to year, so the 2022 file includes any losses that were carried over from earlier years. The only file you need is the .tax2022 file. You do not need the 2022 program or CD, just the .tax2022 tax return file.

Since you are using a new computer, TurboTax for 2023 will not automatically find the 2022 file. On the screen that looks for the previous year's tax return you will have to click the Browse button, find the .tax2022 file, then click Open.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Old TurboTax files

If you have the .tax file for each year on your computer, you would not need the download software for the information to be brought into your tax return for this year. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Old TurboTax files

You don't need the tax files for all the previous years. When you start your 2023 tax return, information is transferred only from the 2022 file. Information is carried from year to year, so the 2022 file includes any losses that were carried over from earlier years. The only file you need is the .tax2022 file. You do not need the 2022 program or CD, just the .tax2022 tax return file.

Since you are using a new computer, TurboTax for 2023 will not automatically find the 2022 file. On the screen that looks for the previous year's tax return you will have to click the Browse button, find the .tax2022 file, then click Open.

acapone
Returning Member

Old TurboTax files

I had to replace my PC with 15 years of Turbo Tax returns. Do I have to load all the years to open the tax software?

Old TurboTax files

Probably only last years return. Information such as carryover losses will be imported to this year's return .

Old TurboTax files

@acapone Do you only have the .tax files for each year or did you save the pdf files too?  Do you still have access to the old computer?  

For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or starting in 2008, .tax2008, .tax2020, .tax2021, .tax2022 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.

What I would do on the old computer, is copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023 or .tax2023 to transfer into next year. You don't need to install older programs unless you need to amend or you didn't save the pdf file. And they only support the last 3 years. If you install an older year you won't be able to update it or download any state programs, so you won't be able to open your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

If you only have the .tax files and can't install the old programs to open it, you could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at
https://www.taxprinter.com

acapone
Returning Member

Old TurboTax files

Thank you. Your reply answered all my questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies