gthorne

OK so there are some forms currently outstanding needed to complete the federal return .....but why wont turbotax allow me to at least file my state return for now ?

A state tax return cannot be e-filed before a federal tax return.  The federal and state tax return must be e-filed at the same time.  Or the state return can be e-filed after the federal return has been e-filed and accepted by the IRS.

These procedures were put in place a couple of years ago to reduce the number of fraudulent state tax returns being filed.

IreneS

You cannot e-file your state return by itself without the federal.

E-filing a state by itself is only allowed once a federal return is accepted/rejected.