Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m9spencer

Can I claim injured spouse for federal and state?

I am going to be offset this year by the state of Maine for unemployment compensation. I am filing jointly with my wife. I am on SSDI and she has the only taxable income and we are claiming EIC for our 2 kids. Question is, can I file for injured spouse for both federal and state? What I have looked up, says that I must contact the Maine dept of labor to apply for injured spouse. So, do I do both federal and state? And who is technically the one claiming injured spouse, myself, or my wife? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

If you file a joint return it is your wife who would be the "injured spouse" so she can protect part of the tax refund that is attributed to her earnings.

INJURED SPOUSE

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1910698-how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
m9spencer

Ok but if I have no taxable income, wouldn't it be all of her portion? Or no?

Since you file a Joint return, part of your SSDI is taxable, as is 100%of  any unemployment comp that you received in 2017. And, no, filing Separately will not help.
m9spencer

The unemployment was from 2009, before I got sick,  and according to the chart from the irs, my wife and I fall within that certain bracket for income basically making my ssdi non taxable, meaning they do not count my income as income. That's what I took from it anyways. Having said that, again, wouldn't it all be her portion?

What I have looked up, says that I must contact the Maine dept of labor to apply for injured spouse.

That is correct for state taxes. As far as your State income tax return is concerned,  Maine acknowledges Injured Spouse Claims for a Maine income tax debt only.  If your refund may be set off to pay a debt other than an income tax debt (i.e., unemployment comp), you must contact that agency (unemployment) directly to request injured spouse relief. See #20 here:

http://www.maine.gov/revenue/faq/income_faq.html

m9spencer

Ok, but do I do that before I've filed, or after? And does my wife have to call since she is technically the injured spouse, or do I talk to them being the one that personally has the debt?
m9spencer

And also, should I file for injured spouse both through federal, and the state since what I've found out, that my federal return CAN be offset?

SHE should file Injured Spouse for both.
m9spencer

Ok very good. I ask because I'll be the one physically doing the taxes online so when I file for us, I will add the injured spouse form on the federal. As far as unemployment. Should they be notified before or after I file our federal return that she wishes to file for injured spouse relief through them?
m9spencer

Ok trying to do my taxes as we speak and I do not see anything about state unemployment compensation debts trying to file the injured spouse form. Is it lumped in with state taxes? It's asking me if it's to offset everything but unemployment... I know I need to contact the state as well, but I'm not seeing it on TT.... Please help!
m9spencer

Doing my taxes as we speak and I am stuck on the injured spouse form. It is giving every other reason to file the form, except for state unemployment compensation debts. Is it mixed in with state income taxes? I'm not seeing unemployment compensation debts anywhere on here.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies