Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

STOP STOP STOP ... DO NOT NOT NOT USE THAT REGISTRATION PROGRAM IF YOU WILL BE FILING A 2019 RETURN !!!!!!!!!!!!!  That registration program is ONLY for those who are not required to file ... read the screen ...

All you can do is WAIT for the IRS to open a portal later this month to update your DD info...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

That registration program is ONLY for those who are not required to file ... read the screen ...

stimulus payment registeration.pngstimulus payment registeration-0.pngstimulus payment registeration-2.png

Those that do not heed the warnings and DO use the registration program anyway will need to AMEND that return to get the regular refund later when you do file ... amended returns take 4 months or more to process AND it is ONLY sent as a paper check.  

I don't need to file my 2019 taxes because I was unemployed all of 2019

@DDNeedHelp wrote:

I don't need to file my 2019 taxes because I was unemployed all of 2019

If you are not filing a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I already did that, and I had the issue with transmission that I detailed in my first post.

I see that my original post was unclear, sorry. By "I cannot file my 2019 taxes" I meant that I can't file a $0 return because TurboTax said I need to file a $0 in person; they can't do online. Obviously I can't go in person to the IRS to file a $0 return with the COVID situation. Otherwise I would just file a $0 tax return through TurboTax and update my Direct Deposit information that way.

@DDNeedHelp wrote:

I see that my original post was unclear, sorry. By "I cannot file my 2019 taxes" I meant that I can't file a $0 return because TurboTax said I need to file a $0 in person; they can't do online. Obviously I can't go in person to the IRS to file a $0 return with the COVID situation. Otherwise I would just file a $0 tax return through TurboTax and update my Direct Deposit information that way.

Then see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

Thank you; I know and am hoping the IRS portal will be active soon; I'm just concerned that they will deposit the money in a non-existent bank account* before the portal opens because they THINK they have my information already, and then refuse to send my check because "I already have it."

*(or someone else's bank account... not sure if banks recycle account numbers after one person closes that particular account)

Do you have any thoughts about the TurboTax error message? Or where the Review Tab is?

To put it another way: the issue is that the IRS DOES have my direct deposit information on file; it's just incorrect, outdated information from the old bank account I closed... that's why I'm trying to use the TurboTax portal to update it, and am hoping I can figure out why I keep getting an error message and where the Review tab is.

I did the link for the stimulus direct deposit set up..it asked if I had my 2018 tax info I put no and it won’t let me e file my 2019 taxes because I didn’t get anything back. But my question is since I bypassed all of that yet still gave my direct deposit info if my info was received and accepted at all? 

@DDNeedHelp wrote:

To put it another way: the issue is that the IRS DOES have my direct deposit information on file; it's just incorrect, outdated information from the old bank account I closed... that's why I'm trying to use the TurboTax portal to update it, and am hoping I can figure out why I keep getting an error message and where the Review tab is.

That is the purpose of the forthcoming IRS portal, *not* the TurboTax portal. The TurboTax portal is for those who (a) did NOT file for 2018 or 2019, (b) were NOT required to file for 2018 or 2019, *and* (c) do NOT receive Social Security or railroad retirement. THOSE people will have to file something with the IRS to get a stimulus check at all.

If you DID file for either 2018 or 2019, the IRS will use the most recent DD info it has to send you the money. If that's not valid, the money will be returned to the IRS and you will go in the paper check line with all those who filed but didn't provide DD info. At THAT point (by the latest), you should be able to provide your updated DD info thru the IRS portal; then you can get out of line and get your direct deposit.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Here is the link to the IRS portal that you can update your Direct Deposit information. The ability to add the direct deposit information is not available yet in the portal but keep checking it for updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Topher9256 wrote:

I did the link for the stimulus direct deposit set up..it asked if I had my 2018 tax info I put no and it won’t let me e file my 2019 taxes because I didn’t get anything back. But my question is since I bypassed all of that yet still gave my direct deposit info if my info was received and accepted at all? 

Did you file a 2018 return? If so, the IRS will automatically try to deposit your stimulus to the account on that return. If that account is no longer there, my answer to @DDNeedHelp above will apply; you should NOT use the TurboTax portal.

If you did NOT file a 2018 return, you should return to the TurboTax portal, go back and answer that you DO have your 2018 AGI, then enter 0; that should allow you to e-file. (Otherwise, you'll have to print & mail forms to the IRS; TurboTax won't send anything to the IRS except via e-file.)

Levere_86

What is the link to register for stimulus if you did not file taxes?

@DaveF1006 wrote:

Here is the link to the IRS portal that you can update your Direct Deposit information. The ability to add the direct deposit information is not available yet in the portal but keep checking it for updates.

A better way to say it is that's where the IRS portal will be posted once it's available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies